Licensing the Regular Expression.
Because you shouldn’t be adding a regular expression to a code base without a license. And those who have licenses generally know it’s a better idea not to use them.
A brief summary of typical disasters:
- Parsing email or IP addresses
- Replacing build time tokens
- Rolling your own string interpolations
- Validating a person’s name
- Parsing a phone number
- Validating a street number
- Enforcing a zip code globally
- Searching in a database for something in a live query
- Parsing a date or a time
- Basically almost always outside of command line or ad-hoc query fu